Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Making Connections & Meet the Robinson's

We love the movie Meet the Robinson's by Disney. It's one of Nathan's all time favorites. He asks to watch it almost every day.

I love it because it's one of the only kid movies I know of where the protagonist is adopted. (we also love Despicable Me and The Odd Life of Timothy Green)

I now have another reason to love it though. My son is now 3 years old. We've tried to be good about telling him his adoption story, having photos of big adoption events in our home, having photos of his biological family, having an open relationship with them, etc. But you never really know what they're connecting and what they're not.

This past week I've noticed him making some connections and it's been rather exciting!

In the movie, Lewis is left on the doorstep of an orphanage by his birth mother.

You can't see her face and I don't know if a child would be able to sense her grief. Lately, Nathan gets sad at this scene and says "Poor Lewis". It's given us the opportunity to point out that the woman in this scene is Lewis' birth mother and that he (Nathan) has one too. It's also given us the opportunity to point out that Nathan was not left on a doorstep by his birth mother. Instead, she picked out new parents for him, us. I hope he's making the connection that his story is a lot different than Lewis', even though he feels sad for Lewis.

At the end of the movie, Lewis gets adopted and a new family. Nathan always loves this part and I always get teary (can't help it!).

Nathan always cheers for Lewis at the end. In every adoption story there is the sad and the sweet. I won't cover up the sad for him. I'll let him grieve what was lost if he wants. But I hope he'll come out cheering for the life given to him in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...