Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Moving Along

I can't believe it's been 6 months since I've blogged anything. Working on our infertility was put on the back burner as life took over. At the same time we started working with Drs. 6 months ago we also contacted the LDS adoption agency here to start filling out adoption paperwork. And lemme tell you, if I thought the process to adopt in Utah was extensive, they've got nothing on Ohio. Same procedure, but a lot more paperwork. One nice thing about Ohio though, the LDS agency doesn't seem as in demand as in Utah. Which means the manager on the phone was super nice, didn't sound overworked, and not jaded at all. Woot!

We've been rather slow this time around getting all the paperwork filled out. Life really has been busy. Six months later and we're finally almost done with the parts we can fill out on our own. The next step will be contacting drs., our bishop, references, etc. Then once we turn in our paperwork and $$, the real fun begins! Realistically, my goal is just to get approved by June 2013.

In the meantime I feel like I've received the occasional nudge from above to get this paperwork done. Just random things that might not seem like a big deal to anyone other than me. Like how my favorite general thrift store suddenly one day had a brand-new-with-tags white blessing dress in the exact style I would have wanted to buy in SIZE 6 MONTHS. Which, for an adoptive family, is typically the size all that fabulous blessing stuff happens. What are the odds? I totally bought it. I keep it in my room to remind myself, baby girl or not, to continue working on all this extensive paperwork.

Why are we filling out paperwork? The answer is pretty simple. Working with Drs. for answers is nice and it may one day lead to the results we're hoping for, but our reality right now is that we cannot conceive. In order to grow our family, adoption is our current reality. It took 5 years for Nathan to join our family. During most of those years we thought conception was our reality, although difficult. We did all we could then to make what we thought our reality was happen. Once we found out getting pregnant was not an option, we switched gears and went to work on the adoption process. Through much thought and prayer, I finally realized we needed to put our work and effort back into what we knew was our current option. If things change in the future, like they did a few years ago, then we'll again switch gears and get to work. For now, adoption is our path to parenthood.

Honestly, I'm sooo excited. I know we got incredibly lucky our first time around. I know that each time we go through this I need to set minimal expectations. But I can't help but love this process (ok, minus the paperwork). I love knowing God is directing our hearts and the hearts of the birth parents. I love getting to meet them. I love falling in love with them and our future child. No matter how a child joins our family, I feel it's special. I feel an awe for the strength and love the biological family has for this child. My hat goes off to the woman who goes through labor to bring that child into the world, and into our family. We feel blessed we get to experience parenthood this way.

So wish us luck on this paperwork, the background checks, the home study, and working with more drs!

5 comments:

  1. So happy you are preparing for another adoption. Remember, I totally understand what you are going through. Yes, I am sure there is someone in Heaven who is anxious for the chance to come into your family. When things are right, it will happen. It is so hard waiting though. Good luck. I too hate paperwork, but I guess it has to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you've gone and made me all sniffly. :) So excited for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I'm glad you are gearing up for a 2nd adoption! We have recently switched LDSFS agencies (because we moved) and I have noticed a positive difference in the caseworkers. Having worked with LDSFS for 4 years now, I was often saddened by what I saw. They need an overhaul of how they do things, especially here in Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck, good luck, good luck! You are a wonderful mom who will bless the life of that lucky little child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck lady! It couldn't be a luckier child to join your family!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...