Thursday, November 18, 2010

P is for Prayer...And PATIENCE

I had originally chosen Prayer for this letter, but thinking about it more Patience seems to fit too.

Prayer goes without saying when embarking on adoption. It starts with prayers for a child, then prayers if you should adopt, then prayers about which agency to use, then prayers about that dang what-kind-of-child-would-you-like form, then prayers that it will happen "soon", then prayers to get you through the waiting game, then prayers if this child is meant for you, then prayer upon prayer of gratitude when IT happens.

So prayer is definitely a huge part of adoption.

But Patience-

Patience, that often elusive virtue all of us mean to acquire one day.

Yes patience has had a huge role in our road to parenthood.

I recently came across a blog post that explains what the whole process is like here. Feel free to read it. It gives a true insight to what it's like to be on this side of the fence.

There are many things I'm grateful for that our path to parenthood has taught me and one of them is patience.

I used to be notoriously impatient. But trying to become parents through adoption and dealing with infertility is definitely a "hurry up and wait" game.

First you have patience as month after month you are not pregnant.
Then you have patience as doctors put you and your spouse through test after test to try and determine the problem.
Then patience as you fill out the massive amounts of paperwork to adopt.
Then patience waiting for your background check to come through (all the while grateful that you never committed any serious crimes lol)
Then, patience to be chosen by a birth mother.

To me, this was the hardest part. Because I really just had to wait. And hope. And pray. And wait. And as Inigo Montoya said "I hate waiting." There wasn't anything I could do to speed this part up, except advertise more. Spread the word more. Blog more. And wait.

Gavin and I have often talked about the road that led us to Nathan and we wouldn't change it for anything. Even before Nathan came into our lives we felt blessed to have been given the opportunity to go down this road. It's by no means been easy. Or always pleasant. But there are so many things we've learned that just aren't worth trading for anything.

I feel like I've got a much better handle on this patience thing than I did 5 years ago. I know things happen in the time they're supposed to. Life doesn't accept your own dictation, but goes by what the Master calls. And as always, He knew exactly what we needed :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...