Thursday, July 15, 2010

Once Upon a Time...

Ok its finally story time! I'm so sorry I've not kept up my blogging. For those of you who are parents you know how crazy the prep time can be, but now take that 9 months and shrink it to 2! lol

So since all great stories (or the ones I like) start out with "Once Upon a Time..." I figured this one should too!

So, Once Upon a Time:

There was a boy and a girl, we'll call them Gavin & Shauna. They were big nerds but really wanted to experience the joy of parenthood. However, when they placed their order for a baby they incorrectly chose the wrong shipping method; they chose UPS and not FedEx! They were sadly informed that their baby would take a lot longer to get to them as a result.

Not deterred by lame UPS, Gavin & Shauna decided to continue to prepare themselves to be parents so that they would be ready no matter when their Little One arrived. 

Meanwhile, there was a girl we'll call E. E was beautiful, smart, and essentially awesome. She was blessed to conceive pretty much the most perfect little boy I'm sure there ever will be. E fell in love with him and wanted to give him the world. She especially wanted him to have a great role model of a father. She asked her close family friend, who is an attorney who's done many adoptions-including hers, to find the perfect couple for her lil guy.

The attorney talked with many couples. One day he was looking at his daughter-in-law's family blog and he saw a photo of Gavin & Shauna. It was our blog ad spreading the word that we were adopting. The Spirit told him these two were the ones and asked his daughter-in-law for our information.

One quiet Monday afternoon, I got a call from Gavin while I was at work. It was unusual because he never calls me at work. I took my cell phone to the hall and picked up. He told me an attorney had called him today and wanted to meet us that very evening if we could because he knew a girl who was looking for parents to adopt her baby. Oh and the baby was due at the end of August. And for some reason I thought I heard it was a girl. Uhm, of course let's meet with him! I said.

After work we nervously went to the attorney's office. I was all nervousness until I met the attorney. As soon as I saw his face I felt instant calm. We talked and agreed to meet the birth mother either Tues or Wed night. I found out she was having a BOY. I wonder if my face communicated the comical thoughts that went through my head when he said BOY. Instantly pink thoughts went away and in came the blue, the soccer cleats, and the football. I decided a boy was definitely ok :)  We walked away not daring to hope but feeling pretty excited at the possibility.

We met the birth mother, E, on Wednesday. I felt strangely calm all the way to the attorney's office. Gavin was nervous haha. Once I sat down and was waiting for her I started to feel nervous butterflies. Once she arrived I felt fine. Ok. Calm. Chill. (there will be moments in this story where words do not do justice to all feelings presented)

We all talked and it was decided that we would be the parents of this little boy. I can't even tell you the sweet warm feeling that came over me at that moment that we said Yes. I reached for Gavin's hand and we just held each other under the table. When they brought out the ultra sound photos it was a pure feeling of magic that went through me. Awe. Wonder. And Love. I couldn't believe this little guy was coming to us. I also fell in love with E. I left there pretty convinced that she had the cutest and most infectious laugh I had ever heard :)

We left the meeting and got in the car and were silent for a while on the drive home. It felt like one of those moments too special that talking would ruin it. I finally broke the silence and we expressed our joy in what had just happened and then I, ever practical lol, asked where were we going to eat dinner to celebrate? We went home first and thanked our Father in Heaven for this miracle. Then we gorged on Texas Roadhouse YUM!

After dinner we started making the rounds to our family's homes to spread our exciting news. And show off the ultra sound photos. I was convinced he was the cutest lil alien ever (b/c don't all babies look like aliens at first?)

It was all pretty surreal at first to be honest. It went from being surreal, to me being in shock (I had Gavin pinch me at dinner haha), to being sooo happy and in awe and wonder that this was happening. And I must say I was completely and entirely in awe of E. There is no doubt she loves this baby more than life itself. I can't wait to tell our son about the amazing woman that brought him to us.

So that's the story of how we were found and how this came to be in the works :)

5 more weeks!

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it! This is the sweetest story!
    Congrats again, and best of luck with the last couple months until he is in your arms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is just lovely and brought back so many sweet memories, congrats again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh! I am so excited for you two! i loved your story! so what all are you getting/doing/preparing for the arrival?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "And they all lived happily ever after." Thanks for sharing the story, and congratulations again! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH Shauna that story is absolutely LOVELY! It brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy for you. I am grateful for people like you who adopt and give children a nice life to appreciate. SO HAPPY FOR YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy can not even describe what I feel for you two but it will have to do! Congratulations!!! Boys are so so so much fun I'm sure girls are too but I wouldn't know cuz I only have boys but honestly boys are a blast I know you will be a fan right away :D If you need help with names I have 3 great baby names books you can use if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a awesome story! That is one lucky little boy to have such an amazing birth mother. I'm excited for you guys. Good luck in your prep. He'll be here before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Total chills! I'm soooo happy for your guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Shauna! I am sooo glad I found your blog - you are such a good writer! What an amazing post - totally got the emotions going! I can feel the happiness and excitement you guys are experiencing and I couldn't be more ecstatic for you both! I bet you have a permanent smile glued to your cheeks :)

    I am sorry we haven't kept in touch better :( but know that I love you and that I am jumping for joy for you and Gavin, and that if there is anything you guys need - just let me know!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...